Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Seeking Connections


I've been thinking a lot about the journey ahead of me as I learn about Wicca.  I know there are a lot of people who believe I will never be a Wiccan unless I'm initiated by a Wiccan.

Do I need that recognition?  Do I want it?

I'm not one of those people who is smashing ideologies together and calling myself an eclectic Wiccan the way many people do.  I'm not using it as an umbrella term for my beliefs.  Instead, I've been researching Wicca and have found that much of the teachings readily available fall in with what I already hold as my own beliefs and values.

So do I feel the need to go through the initiation process to be recognized as a Wiccan by other Wiccans?

Right now, not really.  I have no problem with saying I'm a solitary practitioner of Wiccan teachings instead of saying "I'm a Wiccan."  Or, for that matter, saying I'm a Pagan with Wiccanesque leanings.  Being initiated will not change my beliefs or how I practice them.  And right now, I would like to spend time learning on my own before I learn under someone else's beliefs.  There are many places from which I've received reading suggestions (reputable places, I might add), that I won't want for information for quite some time.

I'm not saying I'll never seek initiation.  However, at this point, I'm happy in my spiritual path.  I'm happy to be reading and studying on my own.  I have a mirror book, I'm creating my Book of Shadows, and found a wonderful organization in my area that can help me make connections with other Wiccans/Pagans in my area.  I haven't decided yet if I'd like to become a member, particularly since I'm so early on my path, but I've registered for the forums, and I may attend a Sabbat with the organization.

Right now, I feel like this is all I need.

Blessed Be!

No comments: